Steelseries Sensei Xai Mod Dismantle xai Dismantle Sensei

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sketch

Sketch
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 717 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:49 pm

The dismantling section in this mod Is virtually the same for both the Xai and the Sensei so don't be worried. I will provide a picture of the Sensei's innards as a comparison to the Xai. (The Sensei actually has less screws holding it together so it even simpler to take appart.)

Sensei to Xai Mod

Here is a little bit about how this came about. I have been using the Steelseries Xai for over 2 years now. I liked the shape, feel and weight of the mouse a lot and had got rather accustomed to it. About 2 years in, which I consider very good for a mouse , the cable started to become unreliable and began to disconnect infrequently. As a replacement I was bought the Xai's Successor; a Sensei for my birthday. It boasted an improved sensor with no negative acceleration as found on the Xai.

I played for several weeks to get used to the Sensei before deciding it wasn’t for me. I loved the mouse technically but the slippery top just didn't cut it. So I got in contact with the lovely guys at Steelseries who happily sent me an old defunct Xai to play around with as my xai case was rather worn out at this point.

This was my Solution its very simple, it just takes the Sensei guts and giblets and places them within the much more comfortable and grippy Xai casing.

Here is what you need.
  • Screwdriver
  • knife
  • Corepad Skatez Replacement Mouse feet
  • A Xai Case/ Old Xai mouse
  • A fully functional Sensei
  • Rubber Gloves
  • 2 Pieces of hose cut in 14” sections
  • A washing up Liquid bottle
  • Some googly eyes
Here is what I used:
Posted Image

Step 1:
To access the base of the Xai you will first need to take off the Mouse feet. Be careful not to Damage or scratch the base of the Xai as we are using the Whole Xai case for the mod.
Tip: You will get more glue off by Lifting the corner of the pad with a knife and then slowly peeling it off with your fingers.
Posted Image
It should now look like this:
Posted Image
Step 2:
Take a screwdriver and undo the 4 screws
Posted Image
Now turn the mouse back over as if you are playing with it. The bottom should simply fall out. If it doesn't give it a light tap!
The Xai has one wire connecting the top to the bottom, sisconnect this.
The Sensei has 3 wires connecting the top to the bottom, disconnect these.
The Xai:
Posted Image
The Sensei:
Posted Image
Picture of the Sensei Wiring for reference:
Posted Image
Step 3:
Take the Top Section of the Xai/ Sensei and flip over. Basically unscrew everything! (If you are just transferring the Sensei Innards into a Xai you do not need to do this. Just remove the board in the top of the mouse and the Sensitivity switchers clear plastic for the light so you can replace it with the Sensei's Switcher plastic which is clouded slightly and gives a better effect with the sensei colour LED )
Xai:
Posted Image
there are also three screws underneath the Board (you do not need to remove these if you are following my mod)
Sensei:
Posted Image
One screw for the Logo LED. (the mouse functions fully with this unplugged, and my mod removes it)
Step 4: Full Dismantle (skip to part "" to continue with the mod)
Remove the side buttons, there are tiny clips on the xai and the Sensei side buttons just slide out easily.
Xai:
Posted Image
Step 5: Removing the LED Plastic:
Pull the clip back and poke from underneath with your screwdriver to avoid snapping it.
Posted Image
Step 6:
After unscrewing all the Screws! (Identical for both mice)
Lift the back of the mouse away from the bottom section, Don't pull hard or you will snap mouse 1 and 2 clean off, you will see why in the next step.
Posted Image
Step 7: Pinch the clips holding the front of the mouse down like so:
Posted Image
That is the Full mouse dismantle. The chipboard on the base of the mouse has 2 screws in it and another 2 screws for the LCD screen, after this is undone it simply pops out.

Edited by Sketch, 15 May 2012 - 10:05 pm.

#2 Sketch

Sketch
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 717 posts

fuck i just wrote the whole guide out and then accidentally didn't post before leaving the page!

here is a pic of the final result anyway Sensei inside a Xai casing:
Posted Image
This is the base:
Posted Image
this will do until tomorrow night/ thursday night when i finish this guide ... again

Edited by Sketch, 15 May 2012 - 10:31 pm.

#3 Sketch

Sketch
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 717 posts

Saved2

#4 Sketch

Sketch
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 717 posts

Saved3

#5 Sketch

Sketch
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 717 posts

Saved 4

#6 Toglos

Toglos
  • Banned
  • 2,588 posts
  • Short Name:Tog

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:22 pm

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Toglos, 15 May 2012 - 11:22 pm.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users