• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Fozzies

Fozzies
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 450 posts
  • Short Name:Foz

Posted 06 June 2015 - 03:02 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on this as yet?

this is for anyone that hasnt been reading up on it regularly : http://www.expertrev...urce=newsletter

#2 Fitton

Fitton
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:08 am

Thanks. I've just reserved my copy.

Not really read much about it but the fact it's free is a bonus and I'm sure being able to use apps on a PC could come in handy at some point. Once or twice I have found myself wanting to be able to use an app on my laptop.

Posted Image

#3 Fozzies

Fozzies
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 450 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 01:42 pm

Im sure i will take the free upgrade whilst it exists, but worry about compatability with my current software, so i will hold off initially

#4 Poison

Poison
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 865 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:09 pm

Thanks for the post.

I have reserved my copy, but will only install once I have seen teh initial reviews.

#5 mixe

mixe
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,123 posts
  • Short Name:Mike

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:27 pm

ill be getting it as they cant fuck it up more than windows 8 which is what im using now

#6 Fozzies

Fozzies
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 450 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:51 pm

ill be getting it as they cant fuck it up more than windows 8 which is what im using now

Lol, and snap. You learn over time how to make win8 less painful, but the fact remains its still painful

#7 Wookybear

Wookybear
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,387 posts
  • Short Name:Wooky

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:26 am

Lol, and snap. You learn over time how to make win8 less painful, but the fact remains its still painful

You make win 8 less painful by reinstalling win7. Just saying.

Andecotal evidence, I know a whole bunch of people who have done so in order to live pain free lives.

bzTsWyk.png

#8 Rylanor

Rylanor
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 442 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:47 pm

I'm with mixe and Fozzie. I had to do every fix to stop it telling it was using 100% of the HDD and I have no idea which one worked. Also the bloody charms bar appearing whenever the cursor goes to the right... that might still be in 10, I don't remember from my virtual-box beta test. I'll hold off for the desktop running 7, though, that's fine just how it is. I've never wanted to use any of the apps, they're so slow to load, clunky and with minimal options compared to the full programmes. Having both on the same pc is irritating, but on the iPad I prefer some websites to their minimal apps (cannot stand imdb, I like seeing all the options).

Necromancers do it in death shroud.

#9 Fozzies

Fozzies
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:09 pm

i guess we need to upgrade our gaming machines for directx future versions though, the difference between win7 and win 8 versions is quite dramatic in the few games i have found settings for it, and another step up the ladder should see further improvements

#10 SonicTHI

SonicTHI
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 266 posts
  • Short Name:Sonic

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:53 am

Mostly good but i wont be upgrading to it for at least a few months if not more after release.

DX12 will take years before it makes a real difference - DX11 is still rare nowadays and very few games explicitly require it.

General OS performance gains will also be small even compared to W7.

They are offering free upgrades but i am not sure you can do a clean install - have to check up on this more as i ve found different claims. Probably different for retail/volume licenses.

Also they r still making a 32bit version which should have stopped with Vista.

However my biggest issue is that W10 will force updates on users - no opt in/out on the Home edition.

People argue that it is a good thing because most people are dumb and often fall prey to malware but if M$ doesnt do their job properly you ll be stuck with that. There was one update for W7 which broke certain games for a week or so. Not to mention any other implications on letting someone else manage my PC. There ll prob be a way to turn that crap off.

#11 Devlin1991

Devlin1991
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 987 posts
  • Short Name:Devlin

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:19 pm

Mostly good but i wont be upgrading to it for at least a few months if not more after release.

DX12 will take years before it makes a real difference - DX11 is still rare nowadays and very few games explicitly require it.

General OS performance gains will also be small even compared to W7.

They are offering free upgrades but i am not sure you can do a clean install - have to check up on this more as i ve found different claims. Probably different for retail/volume licenses.

Also they r still making a 32bit version which should have stopped with Vista.

However my biggest issue is that W10 will force updates on users - no opt in/out on the Home edition.

People argue that it is a good thing because most people are dumb and often fall prey to malware but if M$ doesnt do their job properly you ll be stuck with that. There was one update for W7 which broke certain games for a week or so. Not to mention any other implications on letting someone else manage my PC. There ll prob be a way to turn that crap off.

I doubt DX12 will take years to become mainstream. Unlike DX11 which was only supported by newer cards and then had a lot of it's features ported into DX10 upgrades to try to get more market penetration, almost every GPU will support it from day 1 although some have a slightly reduced feature set.

Dx11 is not rare nowadays, virtually every game that runs on Unity or Unreal engine has supported it for ages and most first-party engines also have a DX11 renderer.

Win 10 from my understanding is practically a ground-up rewrite of windows with all the components made modular so that they can do massive updates to parts of the OS without requiring another version of windows. Win10 + Dx12 is going to make a huge difference to quite a few games genres(MMO's and RTS especially) and for people gaming on APU's.

I agree with you on the 32-bit thing, it should be dead, there has not been a 32-bit only consumer CPU released since 2004.

Forced updates for "home" edition users is a great thing, so many computers are vulnerable and/or infected because people turned off automatic updates or postponed them over and over again. I'd happily trade less zombie computers in the world for the chance that Microsoft mess up an update and have to issue a quick undo patch until they correct the issue. Patches will likely go through a stronger QA process now that they are compulsory. if you are really against it then you can always buy or pirate a pro,education, or business edition and do updates manually.

Edited by Devlin1991, 14 June 2015 - 04:19 pm.

#12 SonicTHI

SonicTHI
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:14 pm

I doubt DX12 will take years to become mainstream. Unlike DX11 which was only supported by newer cards and then had a lot of it's features ported into DX10 upgrades to try to get more market penetration, almost every GPU will support it from day 1 although some have a slightly reduced feature set.

Dx11 is not rare nowadays, virtually every game that runs on Unity or Unreal engine has supported it for ages and most first-party engines also have a DX11 renderer.

Win 10 from my understanding is practically a ground-up rewrite of windows with all the components made modular so that they can do massive updates to parts of the OS without requiring another version of windows. Win10 + Dx12 is going to make a huge difference to quite a few games genres(MMO's and RTS especially) and for people gaming on APU's.

I agree with you on the 32-bit thing, it should be dead, there has not been a 32-bit only consumer CPU released since 2004.

Forced updates for "home" edition users is a great thing, so many computers are vulnerable and/or infected because people turned off automatic updates or postponed them over and over again. I'd happily trade less zombie computers in the world for the chance that Microsoft mess up an update and have to issue a quick undo patch until they correct the issue. Patches will likely go through a stronger QA process now that they are compulsory. if you are really against it then you can always buy or pirate a pro,education, or business edition and do updates manually.

What i mostly meant with DX12 is that it wont be a must have for quite a while. A few AAA games ll be pushed out etc.but it always takes time. I d love for it to take less time but experience over the last 2 decades shows otherwise. If nothing else it takes one game development cycle (2-3 years) for the first major adoption to occur, even longer for MMOs. I expect some early DX12 exclusive games to be announced at E3 as M$ has a presentation reserved for PC this year.

Indeed W10 is meant to be a platform more than a fixed OS but with so many interlocking parts and even with a very good QA i don't expect it to be flawless. Currently you can disable/defer them with a reg/policy change on the preview. We ll see about the final but i m definitely delaying mine for a few weeks.

As for the upgrade: http://answers.micro...e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

You must upgrade your current install first. Only after that you can do a fresh install. If you have a volume/oem license your install is bound to the MOBO.

Also 32bit versions ll get upgraded to W10 32bit... *facepalm*

In any case as i said i ll wait for a while with the upgrade. Its always been a good idea if nothing else just to make sure all your AV/programs will work and that any major quirks of the OS are patched. Not to mention the offer lasts for a year.

#13 SonicTHI

SonicTHI
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:00 pm

Guess the phrase "If you aren't paying for the product, you ARE the product." really applies to W10  as it is apparently riddled with privacy abuse:

https://edri.org/mic...al-data-abused/

Most of this can be turned off while some of it is deemed "vital":

Warning - pic includes some tinfoilhattery.

Attached File  1438151921584.jpg   244.42KB   0 downloads

Also some people are having problems with the upgrade - probably due to overloaded auth servers and there are some driver issues preventing people to play games etc.

#14 Fozzies

Fozzies
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:09 pm

Do we truly have any privacy left? Personally I came to the conclusion years ago that my pc actions were known and catalogued in various ways, and it was too late then to do anything about it, so why bother now? Big brother arrived 15 years ago.

#15 Fozzies

Fozzies
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 450 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:24 pm

insta update, ignore the queing system here : http://www.microsoft...nload/windows10

just don't do a clean install, whatever you do. Win 10 issues a new key for your pc on installation, you don't get that until you've upgraded

#16 DeanAdamFry

DeanAdamFry
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,002 posts
  • Short Name:Dean

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:24 pm

insta update, ignore the queing system here : http://www.microsoft...nload/windows10

just don't do a clean install, whatever you do. Win 10 issues a new key for your pc on installation, you don't get that until you've upgraded

Yeah all I did was select delete everything then did a disk clean when it was done upgrading, it deletes all of the windows.old files and everything so I have a shit ton of space now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users