• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 slowreflex

slowreflex
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 441 posts
  • Short Name:JT

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:07 am

Imagine the database that Google has at it's disposable. Now imagine what will happen when they decide to take AI seriously. Well, they have!

BBC Article: http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-18595351

Google White Paper: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1112.6209v3.pdf

I'm really excited about this. I've been involved in AI for quite awhile and it's nice to see the big boys come to the table. Google on AI and Honda on Robotics is going to propel us into the future pretty fast now I think. Let's just hope it doesn't end up like Terminator. :P

#2 ReaverMage

ReaverMage
  • [DkR] Clan Member (Inactive)
  • 1,178 posts
  • Short Name:Mike

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:01 pm

That's awesome. Only question is why didn't they start sooner.
Btw just out of interest how are you involved with ai development?

Posted Image

Grinning at your demise

#3 slowreflex

slowreflex
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:42 am

That's awesome. Only question is why didn't they start sooner.
Btw just out of interest how are you involved with ai development?

Google has their special division called Lab X where they do all of these really cool things. Sounds like an awesome place to work.

It's actually a really interesting subject to me, because in trying to develop AI, you learn a lot about how the human brain works. For about ten years I've been mapping out how I think an AI system would work. Most of it is pretty straightforward. The key is how you deal with what I call emotional undertone. i.e. sarcasm, humor, etc. When we can get AI to properly understand those things then we are quite advanced. That is why I'm happy to see Google get involved due to the data at their disposal. The method they are using is effectively like raising a child and teaching it, which is much more powerful then a simple search on a lookup table (most "AI" progams are that). Even dealing with sarcasm is completely possible in this way. Think about how a human child learns sarcasm. It's through experience. Having an AI program go through "growing up" should accomplish this. To be honest, I'm shocked that it's taking so long for AI and Robotics to take off. I thought we'd be a lot further by now. There doesn't seem to be as much interest in the world as I thought there would be. Same with virtual reality. I was selling virtual reality equipment like 15 years ago and it's not progressed much since then.

Edited by slowreflex, 29 July 2012 - 05:43 am.

#4 ReaverMage

ReaverMage
  • [DkR] Clan Member (Inactive)
  • 1,178 posts
  • Short Name:Mike

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:49 am

I guess it's more difficult than most people thought. Plus the investments are super long term so...

Posted Image

Grinning at your demise

#5 slowreflex

slowreflex
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:00 am

I guess it's more difficult than most people thought. Plus the investments are super long term so...

There are plenty of academics that say that real AI is actually impossible. There is a chatbot competition which has some good development, but that's very different that true AI. That's just a question/response mechanism. If you ever want to know more about AI then this is a good website: http://aidreams.co.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users