• [DkR] Clan Member (Inactive)
  • 102 posts
  • Short Name:Liquid

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:44 pm

Mars One plans to establish a human settlement on Mars in 2023

http://mars-one.com/en/

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=n4tgkyUBkbY

Why Doom 3 pops into my mind when I think about this project? :D
Anyways... I would like to think that this is the next big step after 21. July 1969.

#2 slowreflex

slowreflex
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 441 posts
  • Short Name:JT

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:18 pm

A Mars settlement is entirely possible, but I don't think it will happen by 2023. I remember planning a Mars mission with NASA when I was 17 (18 years ago) and we've not really done a lot since then. There will need to be a space station on Mars for awhile before any talks of a settlement. In case you are wondering, I was part of a special program where they took promising teachers and students from around the area (Houston) and used them in a brainstorming/planning session.

#3 MuteClown

MuteClown
  • 208 posts
  • Short Name:Mute

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:24 pm

Im waiting for some corperationg like Microsoft or Virgin to lane a space ship on mars and claim it for themselves. OFC ending up in somthing like in the game red faction =]

#4 Donkzy

Donkzy
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:30 pm

would we not move to the moon before Mars as its a lot nearer, im sure googles on it :P

Enjoy Yourself

Olive Oil ain't no virgin ;)

#5 Grinn

Grinn
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 785 posts
  • Short Name:Grinn

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:10 pm

Hmmm. My question is: how would you survive on mars? I know they are going to be sending in supplies but you can only stock so much...
And forgive my uneducated remark but: there is no water on Mars, right?

#6 MuteClown

MuteClown
  • 208 posts
  • Short Name:Mute

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:31 pm

Hmmm. My question is: how would you survive on mars? I know they are going to be sending in supplies but you can only stock so much...

Terraforming, i think it was, by putting large ammount of carbon dioxcide into mars atmosphere, it becomes more habitable; in the case of mars.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Terraforming

#7 Liquideye

Liquideye
  • 102 posts
  • Short Name:Liquid

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:40 pm

''Liquid water cannot exist on the surface of Mars due to low atmospheric pressure, except at the lowest elevations for short periods- The two polar ice caps appear to be made largely of water. The volume of water ice in the south polar ice cap, if melted, would be sufficient to cover the entire planetary surface to a depth of 11 meters. A premafrost mantle stretches from the pole to latitudes of about 60°.'' -Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia....i/Water_on_Mars

Aguess most of the power requaired to upkeep the settlement would be from solar panels. and if you would be able to create and sustain atmosphere with proper temperatures you could grow something to eat.

http://en.wikipedia....ization_of_Mars

Correct me if im wrong (Anyone)

Edited by Liquideye, 29 July 2012 - 07:43 pm.

#8 slowreflex

slowreflex
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:18 pm

You are right that there is "water" on Mars, it's just not in a usable state currently. However, you could probably utilize it with the right technology. Also, by the time they actually make it to Mars to live, there will probably be different ways to hydrate yourself besides drinking water-based liquids.

Edited by slowreflex, 29 July 2012 - 10:19 pm.

#9 Jobenson

Jobenson
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:25 pm

Read the website guys:

Water

On Mars, water can be extracted from the soil. The Rover will select the location for the settlement primarily based on the water content in the soil. We expect this to be at a latitude of between 40 and 45 degrees North. Water extraction will be performed by the life support units. The Rover will deposit soil into a water extractor in the life support units. The water extractor will heat the soil until the water evaporates. The evaporated water will be condensed and stored, the dry soil expelled, and the process repeated to extract more water.
About 1500 liters of reserve water will be stored in each Life Support Unit, which will be consumed primarily at night, and during periods of protracted low power availability, for example during dust storms.
Since Mars has gravity, water can be used in the same way as on Earth. There will be regular showers, toilets and a washing machine. Each astronaut will be able to use about 50 liters of water per day. The water will be recycled, which takes much less energy than extracting it from the Martian soil. Only water that can not be recycled will be replaced by water extracted from the soil.

http://mars-one.com/...food-and-oxygen

There's also food and Oxygen on that website.

Edited by Jobenson, 29 July 2012 - 10:26 pm.

#10 slowreflex

slowreflex
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:27 pm

Yes, but those people are assuming a lot of things. Don't take everything they say as fact when they don't really know what they are talking about without being there and doing extensive testing.

#11 Jobenson

Jobenson
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:30 pm

Yes, but those people are assuming a lot of things. Don't take everything they say as fact when they don't really know what they are talking about without being there and doing extensive testing.

Well that what they say on the official website and that's the best info we can have at this time-
not saying that it will be this way.
Or do you think making my own guesses when I certainly don't know what i'm talking about is better than reading what they're saying?
There's not a lot of things you can take as a fact in life anyway.

Edited by Jobenson, 29 July 2012 - 10:41 pm.

#12 Kipperfiend

Kipperfiend
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:44 pm

I remember reading somewhere In the past the idea of making the mission completely sustainable and a one way trip was quite well supported. Jobenson seems to all the science have the science covered.

#13 Tempest

Tempest
  • 79 posts
  • Short Name:Ross

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:57 pm

Well to be honest if you look at the way technology and our knowledge has progressed in 10 years I think it might be possible to actually collinize Mars in about 10 years time but I suppose it is just a case of who has enough money and influence to actually make it happen, especially seeing as most space programs have had huge budget cuts.

Posted Image

#14 Kiith

Kiith
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:41 am

Not directly related to the colonisation of Mars, but it's Mars related. A 360 panorama shot from the new rover. Pretty damn amazing imo.

http://www.panoramas...eley-haven.html
Posted Image

#15 slowreflex

slowreflex
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:52 am

Not directly related to the colonisation of Mars, but it's Mars related. A 360 panorama shot from the new rover. Pretty damn amazing imo.

http://www.panoramas...eley-haven.html

Pretty awesome for sure. Getting so close now to entering the true space age!

#16 Quafe

Quafe
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 221 posts
  • Short Name:Stig

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:59 am

Will never happen :(
O, from this time forth, my thoughts be bloody, or be nothing worth!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users