Photo

SW:TOR goes free to play (until level 50)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Nimerya

Nimerya
  • [DkR] Clan Member (Inactive)
  • 155 posts
  • Short Name:Nim / Ali

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:58 am

http://www.gamesindu...th-reservations

Can't say I'm surprised as they have been having a tough time. I think going down this route will be much better for the game in the long run - even I would probably give the game a chance if it there was no subscription fee (if GW2 wasn't coming out :P) and I'm not really a Star Wars fan. Perhaps they will eventually end up doing something similar to LoTRO and DDO.

Interesting that they announce this shortly before GW2 releases.

Posted Image

#2 Gasper

Gasper
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:00 pm

On MMOBOMB they wrote that EA said that it will go free to play on November like I wrote on shout box yesterday http://www.swtor.com/free

#3 Steffari

Steffari
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 76 posts
  • Short Name:Steph

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:01 pm

I seen this a while ago. I played the game when it first came out, popped back on the forums yesterday to see what the story was, There's up roar over it!

#4 Vetrie

Vetrie
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:19 pm

Still, I wouldnt play it even if its free :P

#5 Crosshair

Crosshair
  • 31 posts
  • Short Name:Chris

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:21 pm

I tried the game for the first time when it went f2p up to level 15. I was not impressed at all and could not play more than 10 minutes of the game, it felt utterly pointless, boring and empty.

Carpe Diem, Quam Minimum Credula Postero.

#6 Reel

Reel
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 723 posts
  • Short Name:Mike

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:26 pm

The game is an awsome singleplayer game is you like story driven games.

6tjo1i.jpg

"I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested" - Sheldon Cooper

https://www.youtube.com/playinithard

#7 Hughstefner

Hughstefner
  • 142 posts
  • Short Name:Stef

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:29 pm

This was a good single player game, nothing more. I have been hoping for them to go F2P for a while now, not because F2P is a bad thing, but because by doing so they are saying "yeah, it didn't really do so well".
I went to the SWTOR forums to drink the tears of fanboys. I found so many posts about how shit swtor is going to be after it goes F2P, and that they would rather leave for GW2. This was ofc followed by rants on how bad GW2 will be, stating that it is also a "shitty F2P game". A game made to be F2P from scratch is way better than one that has to cram its ass into the F2P market after a failed run at having a subscription fee.

I take too much pleasure in the whining of SWTOR fans.

#8 Raflz

Raflz
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 278 posts
  • Short Name:Raff

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:37 pm

Myself and a few others (who you'll meet later) quit Rift to play this last December. We basked in the hype for around 2 months before release and played it for a similar amount of time. The game had its flaws, if you've played it you will know (as well as having a dent in your spacebar) but the thing that made me despise it the most was the lies.

The lies about open world pvp in particular. Zones were designed in such a way that each faction were given quests in completely different areas of a zone - so no chance of an organic encounter. Smugglers Den (the aspect I was most looking forward to) was broken on release and quickly removed. And Ilum. A 2 frames per second win trading crapshoot. Huttball was its only saving grace but that's not enough to justify £8.99 a month.

#9 Crosshair

Crosshair
  • 31 posts
  • Short Name:Chris

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:38 pm

I loved Kotor, loved Mass Effect 1+2, loved the first Dragon age was disappointed with the 2nd, also loved Baldurs gate and jade empire. However in 2012 when i start a game that looks as bland and soulless as Swtor i have to stop. The conversations were uninspiring and so static. Just feels too much like a decade old game. The opening areas just felt like some really bad Kotor DLC. GW2 is so fresh and new and feels like a whole new take on the mmo genre.

Carpe Diem, Quam Minimum Credula Postero.

#10 Lycan

Lycan
  • 469 posts
  • Short Name:Mo

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:14 pm

lol - I had this discussion with my friends when the game came out.
It was obvious really, with such a big game in GW2, being released as a F2P, how can other companies possibly justify the subscription model?

After having the buzz of games like Force unleashed, Mass Effect, Dragon Age and the innate desire in every human being who has ever watched a star wars film to wield a light sabre, I thought a Star Wars MMO would be an awesome idea (much in the same way I'm anticipating the Elder Scrolls MMO). But as soon as I read that it was subscription based, I forgot it ever existed.

Now it feels like damage control; with tons of articles and videos online about how badly this game sucks, it feels like a "please play this game, you don't have to pay... for a while.... PLEASE!!"

and people just don't care...

I don't care, and you shouldn't either!

Posted Image

LYCAN aka VOLPE aka THORZHAMMAER

#11 Eridan

Eridan
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:30 pm

Its "Buy to play/b2p" lads. Stay on message since f2p has such a shitty rep :-P . Shame that the completely normal way of buying a game (i.e. how almost all non massively online game like CoD are sold) needs branding for people to not vomit on their shoes over the lack of sub.

If Swotor could have gone the free to play right now it would have done them some good. A lot of people waiting for GW2 would have played and some of them would have stayed. I'd probably have played a bit even.

As it stands no one will care. Swtor had a honey moon of about 3 months. Even if GW2 isn't everything we want it to be its honeymoon will be longer than that and the f2p launch will get drowned in it.

#12 Dodger

Dodger
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:51 pm

Played an operative to 50. The personal storyline was hands down the best I've ever experienced in a mmo.

Unfortunately everything else was poorly done.

What made it worse was the relentless spin from EA making every announcement a breakthrough in gaming offering new awesome experiences to the players. Uh-oh - our game sucks - no one is playing - but look now we've decided to give you a whole new opportunity to play for free so we can share our brilliance with you and you have no barriers to stop you playing.

No. Your game sucked. That's a barrier to playing.

#13 Devlin1991

Devlin1991
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 987 posts
  • Short Name:Devlin

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:58 pm

Was great fun leveling, I enjoyed it as much as Cata leveling in wow, probably more in fact. Great voice acting, good cutscenes. Shame the game was a buggy mess at end-game for months after release, that is what drove me to leave, more than half the bosses in the first tier were buggy or completely undoable due to stupid encounter design (SOA was mathimaticly impossilbe to do until they massively nerfed the HP pool of the mindtraps)

#14 Xiomaro

Xiomaro
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 441 posts
  • Short Name:Xio

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:04 pm

I think they really missed a trick with SWTOR. With zero extra effort they could have used a slightly different model of gameplay.

Instead of the standard "skinner box" commendation grind fest they could have gone a similar way to City of Heroes (only with a MUCH better levelling experience)

Bioware should have just said: F**k raids, f**k the gear tread mill; let's emphasise the levelling experience.

The story driven levelling in SWTOR is second to none. They should have encouraged people to level multiple characters instead of focus on one character and raid ad nauseam. There are 8 unique story lines in the game and 99.9% of people won't have seen it all. They should have given a reward for completing all 8 story lines. That would be such a unique way to do an MMO and it would keep people distracted for a year or more. Not everyone would want to do all 8 but even just seeing 2 or 3 would be a much more polished and enjoyable experience than MORE raiding.
"Xiomaro is a good guy"
5/5
-Damo

"If I could be more like anyone, it would be Xio"
-Judgement

"Muff muff muff"
-Shallain

#15 slowreflex

slowreflex
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 441 posts
  • Short Name:JT

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:12 pm

I was part of the early beta for it. I thought it was way too controlled. You can't roam around really when leveling. The PvP was pretty fun though. I'll just hold out for GW2.

#16 Nimerya

Nimerya
  • 155 posts
  • Short Name:Nim / Ali

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:14 pm

The story driven levelling in SWTOR is second to none.

This is why I would have been interested in at least having a go - I love most of what Bioware have done before and their characters and stories are always great. Having a sub fee for a single player experience doesn't appeal to me at all though, so I've given it a miss. They've moved to F2P far too late IMO.

Speaking of F2P, I can't stand it when people say GW2 is F2P. It's B2P, people!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users