• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Silpion

Silpion
  • [DkR] Clan Member (Inactive)
  • 180 posts
  • Short Name:Rich

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:02 pm

First things first, where should this post go?

We had an hours intro to Indoor rock climbing yesterday and i have say i bloody loved it and that's with a slight worry about height, which i think most people have if they know how gravity works. So me and a mate maybe a fewof us might go again with a view to making it a hobbie. My biggest worry is that i am not strong and have not really done any real exercise for a number of years.

If anyone else does climbing if i just went once a week and kept trying my best would i eventully get stronger over time or should i be looking to do certain exercises to boost this conditioning (some cool experssion i learnt from watching MMA)

Ultimatley i just wanted to start a thread to discuss my new found love for hanging from a wall by and colourful rope with my life in a mates hands.
Th4t 1s a C4ctu$ → ψ

#2 Damo

Damo
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,024 posts
  • Short Name:Damo pronounced Day-mow

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:19 pm

Hey Pyro, I also rock climb, it's great fun and great exercise. Toglos is also a climber as well.

A lot of it's technique and if you're going once a week, you'll soon build up them finger muscles. Many beginners make the mistake of using their arm muscles to pull themselves up the wall, where really they should be using their leg muscles to push themselves up (if that makes sense).

You can get finger exercisers that will help you hang from the wall longer, but before you go out and buy all the gear, I'd try it out a couple more times and make sure that you're still enjoying it. It's expensive at first but well worth it imo.

Edited by Damo, 22 October 2012 - 05:19 pm.

#3 Silpion

Silpion
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:34 pm

Thanks for the reply we would probably use the centres stuff for a few months tbh as its coming up to Xmas. I have done it a couple of times and trying to use my legs more and more, I'm not to sure I could pull myself up the wall if I wanted to bt those finger exercisors look like they may help.

I didn't realise it was expensive but I guess it's cheaper if you stay on indoor walls as all you need is a harness and shoes right?

Do you have any links to good websites? With info etc...

Th4t 1s a C4ctu$ → ψ

#4 Toglos

Toglos
  • Banned
  • 2,588 posts
  • Short Name:Tog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:03 pm

Where are you in the country pal?

I've climbed for probably 6 years on and off. I've not had the enthusiasm to climb recently just because I tasted Italy and south of France I've lost motivation to climb in the UK, and I reached a point where it became stupid and just simply unsafe to push myself.

However I'd love to get back into indoor climbing, I learnt from some brilliant climbers so maybe I could teach you a thing or to, and I would certainly be up for helping you learn 'the ropes' so if you wanted to know anything just ask, i'm usually on mumble most evenings.

I'll dig some info up when I get bk home, currently in Liverpool uni visiting my GF.

Posted Image

#5 Silpion

Silpion
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:44 pm

Looking at our locations its a fair old distance around 4-5hour drive but someone I have known for a good 10 years was climbing when I was there yesterday and we are already in contact over fb.

I have been viewing ukclimbing for about 2 hours now and got a better idea of it now. Any info u have would be great but I'm not to sure what I want to now if that makes sense.

Anyways I must yawned about 12 times writing so it's time for some sleep
Th4t 1s a C4ctu$ → ψ

#6 Silpion

Silpion
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:09 pm

Holy hell, i know my spelling/grammer is bad but my previous post is horrific. i have a few more questions:

- Sport climbing tends to be when you top rope and use the hand holds on a wall or when you tie on to the ready rivoted things.
- Trad is when you scale a crag/rock and you use your own kit and take everything away with you leaving the face as you found it?

- When we climbed the other day the belayer had a metal thing on them that we had to pull the rope through and then to lower people down the instructor pulled back a black release arm and slowly thread the rope through. When you actually climb do you still use these?

- Mainly a question on what i think Trad climbing is but if you fall a matter of a few meters i am guessing that you swing slightly? what are the chances of you flipping upside down as the harness only works when your upright?

with the last question, it's just for piece of mind, i am not really looking to outdoor climb for quite a while.
Th4t 1s a C4ctu$ → ψ

#7 Toglos

Toglos
  • Banned
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:28 pm

Sport Climbing - Is still a bottom rope, similar to Trad climbing but instead of using your own gear such as cams, nuts, hex's. You clip into Bolts:

http://farm3.static...._484bbf04ee.jpg

Using a Quick Draw...
https://encrypted-tb...EfVCPbKXAuFpIPA

Trad climbing - Yes, you use your own gear such as: Cams, Nuts, Hexes, and Slings (Loads of other stuff but these are the main ones used in the UK)
The first climber is called your lead climber, and the person who will follow up is called the seconder. The seconder collects the gear after the lead climber is safe to belay.

The device you are on about is a type of belay device, used in most centres where climbing is taught, most climbers out on a climb won't tend to use them due to the leaver being a saftey hazard, it's ok for top roping, when they belayer is in a open environment and has lots of space, but it's not ideal for tight spaces and can be risk if the climber should take a fall, the leaver can potentially get jammed. I still climb with climbers who prefer it, but I don't tend to use them unless I was instructing in a safe controlled environment.http://img.tribevine...a.jpg.LARGE.png

Most climbers will tend to use a mixture of these... Posted Imagesince they are easy to control, have very little on them that can go wrong, and also some have a variety of edges depending on the weather, temp, conditions etc.... so if it were Icey and cold, the rope tends to be quite hard and isn't very flexible, therfore can easily jam the belay device, so it's good to have a edge that the rope can run against that is easy to stop, and also easy to feed through, also rope comes in a variety of thickness and material so it works well with some devices and not so well with others. I use this : Posted ImageCheep and has never failed me. Sometimes simplicity with gear is the way to go, things that look complex are usually shite, but these always someone that will argue differently.

The trick with Trad and Sport, is not to fall.

So yea basically don't fall, but it's all about taking the right precautions before you move on with climbing, Falling can be fatal especially with TRAD. Making sure you where a helmet... I refuse to climb with people who don't where helmets. When you place gear, I make sure it is a BOMBER, 10/10 will stop me falling, sometimes I will climb on 8/10.

Swinging is the least of my concerns in fact it's a result, if I'm swinging on my gear, I'm not dead! :D

The worst that could happen is falling on a bad placement that pops out, which means you would fall to your lower gear placement, that could be a fatal. So making sure you place gear correctly is ridiculously important.

If it is placed correctly, then you continue to climb.

The hardest thing about TRAD is placing gear... not only does it require quite a sound knowledge of how to place it, but also requires you to be patient, strong, and to have a little pain tolerance. Sometimes gear placements can be a fucking nightmare, and when you have climbed 8-9 ft away from your last placement and the climb is totally run out accept for a shitty little crack that tapers into a bowl, and all you have is a nut that will just about fit, but has to be at a perfect angle, sweat and shakes begin to take over. You get used to this after a while, and it's quite a buzz.

Rock climbing is graded just as it is in indoor climbing, the difference being indoor climbing is graded of difficulty, sport climbing is graded of difficulty, and Trad climbing is graded on difficulty and severity. You can buy guide books, that have been written by professionals and are updated frequently.

As you can imagine you can climb to your ability, so you don't have to push yourself up something that looks ridiculous, you can go to routes that you would be happy to climb even without a rope, and still practice placing gear and setting up.

Falling in sport however is alot more... like falling over in the playground, you just swing, or slide usually just get abit cut up bruised, or I've know people to break ankles, wrists etc... but again it just depends on the difficulty of the route and understanding what your limit is and just trying to slowly expand your comfort zone of occasion, that is still safe but will give you a sense of achievement at the end of it.
It's also a good feeling especially with sport climbing that you may have fell on a route last week, but can climb it the next week, like in indoor climbing, it's all about solving problems and developing your body to tackle them.

You tend to have to go abroad to sport climb, since UK are against 'Bolting' routes, something to do with preserving our environment, which is a way I totally agree with, but TRAD is so fucking expensive.

Posted Image

#8 Silpion

Silpion
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:39 pm

Thanks for the huge ammount of knowledge. Looking at the above at the moment i would be worried about falling at all but i guess this normally happens when you have only done it once. I can see what you mean about the complex Belay like with everything the more moving parts the more their is to go wrong.

I'm just going to see how it goes on indoor walls and go from their, i know it has a number of bolted clips/points as well top roping.

thanks again,
Th4t 1s a C4ctu$ → ψ

#9 Toglos

Toglos
  • Banned
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:28 pm

Once you commit, you'll realise there isn't anything to be scared of.

Indoor climbing is brilliant, beats going to the gym. Unbelievably pumpy and includes uncontrollable yelling/screams once you get into it.

Edited by Toglos, 24 October 2012 - 10:12 pm.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users