books literature fantasy sci-fi reading novel

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#17 Donkzy

Donkzy
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:11 pm

Not sure i should post as all you reading proper 'adult' books but I read adventure book, used love reading these when I was younger found an old one and tried a few runs I don't cheat on em anymore and they hard to finish

md70i5Mi7iaN_7KwSFm05aA.jpg Legend Of Zagor part of a triology

I know I'm 27 but all reading is good :)

Edited by Donkzy, 15 May 2014 - 04:12 pm.

Enjoy Yourself

Olive Oil ain't no virgin ;)

#18 spankproof

spankproof
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 984 posts
  • Short Name:chris/spank

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:08 pm

The name of the wind by patrick rothfuss is really good if you like fantasy as is the gentleman bastard series from Scott lynch right up to the last chapter of the 3rd book.

#19 Rhimos

Rhimos
  • [DkR] Clan Member (Inactive)
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:44 pm

Oh the gentleman bastards series is easily one of the best high fantasy books i've ever read. Locke Lamora is a strong contender for my favourite fictional character :D

Posted Image

#20 spankproof

spankproof
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 984 posts
  • Short Name:chris/spank

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:30 pm

you need to get the name of the wind then kothe in that is good XD

#21 Donkzy

Donkzy
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:07 am

I'll take a look lads, Amazon here I go

Enjoy Yourself

Olive Oil ain't no virgin ;)

#22 Carepolice

Carepolice
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:40 am

You probably know the game but the books are even better.

The Witcher by Andrzej Sapkowski :)

If you liked the game then the books will be perfect for you.

#23 Cybatross

Cybatross
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:24 pm

This is great - so many reading tips!

I also found the Liveship Trader series (R. Hobb) more difficult to get into than the Farseer trilogy, but I am glad I stuck with it. Great series, and Hobb just writes so well. I agree that Martin writes brilliantly as well.

I have tried reading Sanderson, but I just can't get into his books. I started with the Mistborn trilogy, then tried The Way of Kings. His ideas seem fine, but I just find his prose... awful. I couldn't even tell you exactly why. I will give him another go in a bit, as soon as I have finished Stephen King's The Stand, which I'm currently reading.

For military history, Stephen Ambrose's Citizen Soldiers is near the top of my list.

Keep your reading tips coming - I have yet to be able to fill my iPad up, there's room for more books :D

#24 nidriks

nidriks
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 324 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:01 pm

Not sure i should post as all you reading proper 'adult' books but I read adventure book, used love reading these when I was younger found an old one and tried a few runs I don't cheat on em anymore and they hard to finish

md70i5Mi7iaN_7KwSFm05aA.jpg Legend Of Zagor part of a triology

I know I'm 27 but all reading is good :)

They are great books Donkz. I have seriously good memories of those books. I used to get one every Saturday morning when I went down the local library (crazy to think that's probably 25-30 years ago now :blink: ).

Of course, there's nothing wrong with playing them now. Many people will say it's childish to play computer games...and we all know that's not the case. For much time I've been thinking about get hold of the series. There's 50+ now.

Look for Robot Commander. You had stats for your robot as well as yourself. That or the space ones were by far my favourites.

Not sure I'd take it in to work though :lol: ! I certainly mean to introduce my nephews to them at some point though.

Edited by nidriks, 17 May 2014 - 01:05 pm.

#25 nidriks

nidriks
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 324 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:59 am

Hope you don't mind me resurrecting this topic, but I just had to add to the Robin Hobb discussion.

I have just finished the first book of her new Fitz and the Fool series. Quite incredible. I'm a 40 year old male and it damn near brought me to tears on a bus!! I won't spoil what happens for anyone, but if you're a fan of Robin Hobb then you just have to read this series (though the last one's not out till next year).

#26 blackice8r

blackice8r
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 578 posts
  • Short Name:Raz

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:41 am

books? haven't read one in years , but I listen to a lot of audiobooks

After sitting all day in front of screens I want to rest my eyes at lunch so I lie down on the sofa in the office and listen to my books :D

The boss and colleagues found it odd in the beginning but now they envy the habit :D

See my library, if you find a quick way of ripping them , let me know. I tried to swap books with a colleague but the process of ripping these takes too long with the DRM and all that.

1_1.jpg

2_1.jpg

3_1.jpg

4_1.jpg

Edited by blackice8r, 07 October 2015 - 09:51 am.

#27 Aumento

Aumento
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:28 am

Loved the Farseer Trilogy they where really good. Read them when I broke my leg a year ago or something.

Like Bernard Cornwell just started reading 1356. Read a few others of his the Grail series was very good.

I like the idea of reading the Warhammer books again.

#28 Insathius

Insathius
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • – Merciless Overlord –

• 777 posts
  • Short Name:Dave

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:54 am

Read Andy Weir's the Martian recently - amazingly good book

Now reading Stephen Kings dark tower book 1 - loving it so far!

#29 Xaphan

Xaphan
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 331 posts
  • Short Name:Mike

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:36 pm

Some good mentions here.

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time and the spin off books are fantastic.

Brandon Sanderson - If you liked him finishing the above, the previously mentioned Mistborn series must be finished.

Terry Goodkind... wtf... I thought I finished the Sword of Truth series, but just found out he's written more.... gotta go buy.

Adrian Tchaikovsky - Shadows of the Apt - Currently reading these and would highly recommend. Personally up to Warmasters Gate.

I have read a lot of fantasy over the years, but RJ, TG & AT have kept me enthralled for a long time now. 

Robin Hobb... well the Farseer books were difficult to read for me... too dark & dreary with little action. IMO she (yes she... Margaret Ogden in reality) redeemed herself when I was compelled to read The Liveship Traders series.

Other authors... David Gemmel, Katherine Kerr, Tad Williams, Terry Brooks (although he seems to write from the same script each book), David Eddings, JRRT and many many more.

Something different?

Try Stephen R Donaldson's - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. Hard to start, but very worth the read.

Revelation_zpsbeoqyc7t.png

#30 blackice8r

blackice8r
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 578 posts
  • Short Name:Raz

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:35 pm

can vouch also for David Gemmel, I've read all his books I think, loved them!

Edited by blackice8r, 07 October 2015 - 01:35 pm.

#31 Mitch

Mitch
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:27 pm

+1 for Robin Hobb, David Gemmel and David Eddings! Think I've read almost all their books; great reads.

#32 Slix

Slix
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 48 posts
  • Short Name:Slix

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:15 pm

Some good mentions here.

Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time and the spin off books are fantastic.

Brandon Sanderson - If you liked him finishing the above, the previously mentioned Mistborn series must be finished.

I really enjoyed the Wheel of Time series; finished those 14 books in a four month period, and with Brandon Sanderson finishing of the series I started his Stormlight Archive trilogy which is turning out to be great! Can't wait for the third book to be released..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users