• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#17 Toglos

Toglos
  • Banned
  • 2,588 posts
  • Short Name:Tog

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:11 am

Those who deserve power don't seek it, and those that seek it don't deserve it.

I don't know about this, I don't think anyone does seek power do they? People just see where you could make a difference and go for it.

Ah no wait... money. Nevermind. Gaming World vs Real life. I do think the skills are transferable, I had an argument about it with someone who works for the intelligence in the Raf. I won the argument of course... ;)

I've only managed in real life when it's been given to me, never out of choice I don't think, unless things are that ridiculous you just have to step in. But now... I guess I need power to change stuff because I an compassionate and empathetic about it, but I mean see-ing death and in-equality does strange stuff to you. It's difficult not to act on those emotions, a skill in it's self. :/

So now I seek power... does that mean I don't deserve power? I guess i'd need to do a qualification...

Now wait this is so fucked up, someone who seeks power, leaves school... gets a qualification in attaining power... hahaha... what a fucking mess we are in. Quick, help me build a new online democracy for my local people. :)

Posted Image

#18 Toglos

Toglos
  • Banned
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:22 am

I was pretty keen for power in gw2... but only because I was enthusiastic about the game play, tactics and stuff... aside that yeah I'm a world dominating Hungary megalomaniac monster I guess...

dam I'm the worst leader :D

Posted Image

#19 Toglos

Toglos
  • Banned
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:27 am

Utweaker, just be everything I'm not mate. 1779065_10154810874640790_67066520101028

Posted Image

#20 Toglos

Toglos
  • Banned
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:36 am

Spelling, grammar, punctuation, also good. Bonus points if you can type without making a single mistake in the paragraph... minus points if you go back and edit... :D

Posted Image

#21 Saviour

Saviour
  • 599 posts
  • Short Name:Sav pronounced Save

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:46 am

You don't need power to begin to make a change, for as you start the people will rally to you giving you the power needed for change.

Therefore "Those who deserve power don't seek it" as it will naturally comes to you for the right reasons.

People flocked to you Tog during GW2 simply because you were setting things up in WvWvW, from this you were made into an officer.

The exact same happened with me and the dungeons in GW2, people came to me about runs and guides etc.... this lead onto me becoming an officer.

Due to these simple actions of setting things up for people without looking for officer titles or power we became well known and respected by the community.

Those that sought power at the start of GW2 lost the faith of the people and consequentially the power due to there actions and attitudes towards others, EG: PvP officer at the start of GW2 (no names shhh).

2unwyj5.pngProgramming is like sex, one mistake and your supporting it for life.2unwyj5.png

#22 uTweaker

uTweaker
  • [DkR] Clan Member (Inactive)
  • 746 posts
  • Short Name:Tweak

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:14 am

I agree with a lot that is being said, for me leading in games is like being a butlins red coat its not about power but facilitating fun getting the guild together to perform a common task well in an organised and fun manner. And leading in business isn't that different, people who are having fun and like each other are far more productive.

Just a bit of background in eve I was an alliance senior fleet commander but I refused to take a director position (officer), I did perform many of the tasks that a director would perform but I answered to the Directors and took direction on goals from them, my job was operational planning and execution.

The games we play and the DkR community are very different to what im used to and this is where I struggle and of course need more practice.

But anyway I was trying to keep this a general discussion and less about me,

From my experience at work leadership/managing is 5-6 interconnected and interchangeable 'styles' from authoritarian to compassionate friend, the best leaders from my experience are the ones who can seamlessly switch and know exactly when each style is required.

Tweak/0die
Member of ToG

#23 Omimace

Omimace
  • 2,106 posts
  • Short Name:Omi

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:23 am

I have always refused to be called a leader, I think i got in the position I am purely on my passion 1 for the games i play 2 for the community i belong in.

This leaves me in a position I will sacrifice anything to help my community in the games i love...... I am dedicated to community as without it my games feel empty and lonely...... as an MMO player this is unexceptionable :)

I look at everything best I can from all points of view this is hard and often leaves someone feeling left out mistreated (cannot always please everyone) but I am 100% honest and upfront and think these shows so at the least people can trust me to do my best even when it goes south.

The only time I ever get close to loosing my rag is when people go against the community spirit and act in ones own interest, this happens and that's fine but when it is consistently the the goal of someones focus it drives me to madness, if you here to satisfy yourself at the expense of others, then why you in this community at all??

There plenty of power level self centered guilds out there that will power level you to what you want ind days with little fuss (no fun in my opinion), so surely you would feel more at home in these?

As I keep saying I am here as this feels more like a community and less like a guild!!!

Posted Image

#24 Kronotrope

Kronotrope
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 193 posts
  • Short Name:Morbus

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:29 pm

Not exactly true.

We had in Wildstar issues with people demanding XY and Z from our raids, people getting fed up and leaving simply because we did not reach a certain goal... IE a boss kill by such a date.

This was an issue each and every raid with people dropping off and leaving, leaving us with having to reorganize everything in an attempt to get a full team to raid...

It killed us in the end where people argued seconds after our last raid and I had nine people contact me stating that they were leaving due to it.

Don't mean to sound down, I'm more proud that we lasted so long and achieved so much all the while suffering so many near fatal blows before the end.

**Re-reading and I think I may be off topic, not sure so I'll keep this up anyway**

I think you're referring to the difficulty level. I on the other hand was referring to the gravity of not succeeding (comparing online game leadership to real life leadership).

Of course leading games can be harder than IRL sometimes, but it wouldn't (or should I say shouldn't) have a big impact on your real life. So Carpe Diem and take leading in an online game as a relatively consequence-free learning opportunity!

I have always refused to be called a leader, I think i got in the position I am purely on my passion 1 for the games i play 2 for the community i belong in.

This leaves me in a position I will sacrifice anything to help my community in the games i love...... I am dedicated to community as without it my games feel empty and lonely...... as an MMO player this is unexceptionable :)

I look at everything best I can from all points of view this is hard and often leaves someone feeling left out mistreated (cannot always please everyone) but I am 100% honest and upfront and think these shows so at the least people can trust me to do my best even when it goes south.

The only time I ever get close to loosing my rag is when people go against the community spirit and act in ones own interest, this happens and that's fine but when it is consistently the the goal of someones focus it drives me to madness, if you here to satisfy yourself at the expense of others, then why you in this community at all??

There plenty of power level self centered guilds out there that will power level you to what you want ind days with little fuss (no fun in my opinion), so surely you would feel more at home in these?

As I keep saying I am here as this feels more like a community and less like a guild!!!

I can personally vouch Omi that you do sacrifice a lot for the guild, lol! So these statements are certainly truth.

#25 Chuey

Chuey
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 07:42 pm

boss-vs-leader-800x800.png

Sorely tempted to print this out and post it on a few notice boards at work with the captions "Too many" and "Not enough".

#26 mixe

mixe
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,123 posts
  • Short Name:Mike

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:21 am

Spelling, grammar, punctuation, also good. Bonus points if you can type without making a single mistake in the paragraph... minus points if you go back and edit... :D

bull shit Richard branson is a good example some use the left side of there brain some use the right some ppl good at spelling some ppl are good at breaking the enigma code 

#27 Murum

Murum
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 930 posts
  • Short Name:Cross

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:35 pm

bull shit Richard branson is a good example some use the left side of there brain some use the right some ppl good at spelling some ppl are good at breaking the enigma code 

mercedes-benz-left-brain-right-brain-pai

sorry just had to post this :P

Q1xZVRb.png

"A mans mind has no limitations, believing is a virtue best not taken lightly"~Murum

#28 uTweaker

uTweaker
  • 746 posts
  • Short Name:Tweak

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:24 pm

http://www.agony-unl...Leading_a_Fleet

This is worth a read, very interesting and I'm going to try to adjust to this.
Tweak/0die
Member of ToG

#29 Khally

Khally
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 485 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:32 am

I just had to step in and mention that the whole notion that someone is "left" or "right-brained" has been debunked quite some time ago. Actually, there's even a recent study you can check out, if you are interested (http://www.plosone.o...al.pone.0071275).

Studying pharmaceutical sciences and having both parents as doctors (including a renowned neurologist) just makes things like this tickle my brain :P

medals_zpsc909537a.png      SIGNATURE5_zpsf26a90df.png   

#30 mixe

mixe
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,123 posts
  • Short Name:Mike

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:02 pm

I just had to step in and mention that the whole notion that someone is "left" or "right-brained" has been debunked quite some time ago. Actually, there's even a recent study you can check out, if you are interested (http://www.plosone.o...al.pone.0071275).

Studying pharmaceutical sciences and having both parents as doctors (including a renowned neurologist) just makes things like this tickle my brain :P

a hypothesis based on a sample of 1000 your obviously the milkman's ;)

if you want to do the whole leadership thing organise elite dangerous ^^ would be nice to have some clan matches on this at some point in a month or so 

#31 Khally

Khally
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 485 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:09 pm

I base my thinking on facts, not a novel written in 1886 which passed as fact until now. This is just ONE article. I actually have deep understanding in the field, as long with family and friends. Even if it was this sole article, it's quite extensive and a sample of 1000 is actually relevant, despite what you seem to believe (you'll often see studies mentioned in TV which only have, for example, 60 participants and are again passed as fact). Here's a quote for you: "65 neuroimaging studies on emotion found no scientific support for the hypothesis of an overall right hemispheric lateralisation of emotional function".

Anyway, it's off topic. For any further discussion, PM is always available.

Edited by Khally, 02 December 2014 - 07:10 pm.

medals_zpsc909537a.png      SIGNATURE5_zpsf26a90df.png   

#32 Galactus

Galactus
  • 19 posts
  • Short Name:Gala

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:55 pm

I would have one thing to add to this thread, the book "The Prince" wrote by Niccoló Machiavelli in 1513. You won't be disappointed and you'll be a better leader for it.

It was written as a political rulebook for rulers and here's a quote to peak your interest, enjoy.

“It is much safer to be feared than loved because ...love is preserved by the link of obligation which, owing to the baseness of men, is broken at every opportunity for their advantage; but fear preserves you by a dread of punishment which never fails.”

True Champions Use Drugs

Most Controversial Member 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users