What makes a adult from a child

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Monkeypooh

Monkeypooh
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:20 pm

been think of this for a while ..would welcome others thought on the matter ..

ty

#2 Saviour

Saviour
  • 599 posts
  • Short Name:Sav pronounced Save

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:45 pm

A realization of responsibility.

2unwyj5.pngProgramming is like sex, one mistake and your supporting it for life.2unwyj5.png

#3 Murum

Murum
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 930 posts
  • Short Name:Cross

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:18 am

What Saviour said along with.

'Consequences of actions, the experiences in life,

understanding, adapting and accepting the above'

Q1xZVRb.png

"A mans mind has no limitations, believing is a virtue best not taken lightly"~Murum

#4 Monkeypooh

Monkeypooh
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 649 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:07 pm

A realization of responsibility.

wont comment yet waiting for more replies

#5 Azerra

Azerra
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 639 posts
  • Short Name:Az

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:18 pm

The question is complex and can warrant subjective responses. I think there's certainly cross overs between childish and mature behaviour (adults can be childish and children can be very mature at times). Over a period of time and experience a person could more often exhibit mature behaviour because it can be beneficial to themselves. If it devolves into discussing the definition of maturity, again the question becomes more complex. But I suppose the general answer I would give is similar to the guys above: responsibility, experience, adaptation, humility and an ability to make better decisions (which would come with experience). Other factors you may wish to consider would be that maturity is a desirable behaviour in many social situations - so it's important to develop this behaviour for personal and professional reasons. Also, I don't think there's necessarily an age at which this occurs but is normally a behaviour seen at the end of puberty (less hormones messing with your mood) and, again, life experiences. Written on phone sorry for bad grammar..

Edited by Azerra, 10 March 2015 - 03:21 pm.

#6 Toglos

Toglos
  • Banned
  • 2,588 posts
  • Short Name:Tog

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:22 pm

When you're a child, your brain is wired for impulse and desire. Whereas, when you're an adult your brain has developed to take impulsive reactions and make more rational and logical decisions based on your primitive behaviours.

Posted Image

#7 VoidInsanity

VoidInsanity
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 324 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:59 pm

Well my answer is child/adult means nothing compared to maturity. Childish Adults, Adult Children exist as a result. The defining factor of said maturity is the ability to take responsibility for your actions and suppress the urge to preform instinctive ones, mainly the desire to fuck. This also requires them to have experienced said desire otherwise they are a ticking timebomb of immaturity waiting to explode.

#8 mixe

mixe
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,123 posts
  • Short Name:Mike

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:46 am

Experience and at 18 you should have enough of it to be an adult

And to the above posts is Jeremy Clarkson an adult ?

#9 Monkeypooh

Monkeypooh
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:51 pm

so far excluding saviors reply it seems that Experience/maturity is the what is needed to change a child to a adult ...i dispute this, but would like to hear from any more who have other criteria which differentiate from child to adult...

#10 mixe

mixe
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,123 posts
  • Short Name:Mike

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:58 pm

your responsibility's will change depending on previous experiences

#11 Chuey

Chuey
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:16 pm

I usually say one has to grow up once they have a child of their own. This is one reason why I will never have children (the other reason being I hate them)

In my job I come across plenty of people in their twenties (and some in their thirties) who would not qualify to be adults if the guideline was based on maturity or responsibility (which is probably why they're in prison in the first place!).

Commit a crime and see if you get tried as either a Juvenile or Adult, then you'll know ;)

Society has it's own ideas based on a variety of measurements depending on the situation. Biologically the simplest gauge is puberty.

#12 Tratpan

Tratpan
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 105 posts
  • Short Name:Trat / Pat

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:33 am

I mostly agree with points that Crðssfire, Azzerra and Toglos mentioned above.

My answer would be knowing how to prioritize better. By reaching a certain level of prioritizing needs, wants, you and other stuff, I guess you can earn the title adult. Unfortunately I fall under the Immature Adult as I shouldn't be typing this at 4am and go back to sleep, where it doesn't matter to dream that I'm a child, hiding under sheets to dim the light's of a stupidly bright electric thingy.

#13 Darkademic

Darkademic
  • – Enigmatic Overlord –

• 4,971 posts
  • Short Name:Dark

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:37 am

Beyond the technical definition based on age alone (which itself varies from culture to culture), it's subjective. I was arguing with a guy on YouTube who said anyone who indulges in anything sci-fi/fantasy related is an "overgrown child".

What's childish or adult-like to one person is the opposite to the next. Some 10 year olds are more responsible than some 40 year olds.

My personal distinction would probably be that an adult can think for themselves, forming their own conclusions about the world, and also chooses to support themselves rather than depending on others. Being able to think, and apply said thinking to survive, is the whole point of "growing up".

darkademic_thin_sig.png
Рациональный разум. Военачальник Загадочных Призраков.

#14 Toglos

Toglos
  • Banned
  • 2,588 posts
  • Short Name:Tog

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:48 pm

Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another. I think I matured quite early, but what that does mean is I have moments of complete immaturity. When I come home, I don't want to be an actor; I just want to be a kid. For many, immaturity is an ideal, not a defect.

What makes an adult from a child?

I guess that being an adult is knowing when it's appropriate, and when it's not, which is a responsible outlook. Some children can learn that from a young age.

Inconsistencies in men are generally testimony to their immaturity.

Posted Image

#15 Rob

Rob
  • – Community Overseer –

• 962 posts
  • Short Name:Rob

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:46 pm

Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another. I think I matured quite early, but what that does mean is I have moments of complete immaturity. When I come home, I don't want to be an actor; I just want to be a kid. For many, immaturity is an ideal, not a defect.

Pretty sure that's what MJ said too.

#16 BradDaMan

BradDaMan
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 404 posts
  • Short Name:Brad

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:35 am

Classic fkin MJ

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users