30 replies to this topic

#1 Xaphan

Xaphan
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 331 posts
  • Short Name:Mike

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:19 pm

Tennocon Plains of Eidolon teaser for Warframe

Totally love this game, but get burnt out after a while.

Then they do this... that's me going back yet again.

I can't think of any other game that gets it so right for FTP except GW2 prior to the HoT expansion (because it killed WvW).

If any of you haven't tried Warframe then do.

Revelation_zpsbeoqyc7t.png

#2 Alusi

Alusi
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 199 posts
  • Short Name:Mark

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:45 am

Yeah this looks good, talked about it on discord a far bit. I am totally new to Warframe (although I have known about it a long time) never fancied it before as its totally 3rd person, thing is I didn't realise how much melee combat there is in it which is way better 3rd person. have put a few hrs in now and for a free game its very good. This new Landscapes (open world) feature will make it a viable alternative to Destiny and Anthem. Its all good, I will most likely play all 3!

Found this recently is good for people who donr know much about Warframe

https://www.youtube....h?v=lv9qJ-nMdIo

Edited by Alusi, 13 July 2017 - 09:46 am.

#3 VoidInsanity

VoidInsanity
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 324 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:47 am

Game is grind incarnate, it's the old Diablo 3 auction house in game form mixed with that simpsons cookie clicker mobile crap. It's like Path of Exile with all the fun from loot drops replaced with their premium currency. If you don't plan on spending a ton of money on it, you won't have a good time unless you like grind for the sake of grind.

#4 Alusi

Alusi
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 199 posts
  • Short Name:Mark

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:50 am

Well I guess it all depends what you want out of your RPG's have only done about 2-3hrs on Warframe but for a free game it was a lot of fun. (certainly a lot more fun than SWL)

Ultimately any MMORPG becomes a grindfest esp for endgame BIS gear if that's what you want. If you enjoy the actual gameplay then the grind in a negative sense does not exist. As soon as I start to feel anything is a "grind" as in "I am only doing this activity for the drop at the end" then I just stop playing and do something else. There are plenty of other options.

#5 ShaLLByte

ShaLLByte
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:06 pm

After seeing that trailer im playing again. I got co leader of the DKR guild there so if anyone wants an invite look me up. Name is Mr_KriLL

ShaLLByte

#6 Eridan

Eridan
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:12 pm

Game is grind incarnate, it's the old Diablo 3 auction house in game form mixed with that simpsons cookie clicker mobile crap. It's like Path of Exile with all the fun from loot drops replaced with their premium currency. If you don't plan on spending a ton of money on it, you won't have a good time unless you like grind for the sake of grind.

The game is a collect-a-thon. Except each warframe, most of the weapons and many of the passives (mods) give you new gameplay options. It is not grind in the classic MMO sense (do the exact same fairly boring gameplay loop over and over until you get a reward that just increases stats you already had a bit) its more do lots of variations (multiple mission types and levels) on a fun core gameplay loop (bouncing around like a space ninja shooting or bashing things) to get rewards that let you play the game slightly differently.

Perhaps another thing I should mention is it has 4 player co-op focus. Match making with friends or randoms is really easy and for most kinds of missions playing with randoms works fine.

Don't get me wrong if you hate MMO's with a fiery passion your probably going to get pissed off with warframe but if that's true why are you hanging around with DkR ;-P

I'd also say this is a game for people actively looking for a time sink game. Its designed to accomodate people who want to always have more to do. and they keep adding more layers. There is no endgame the game is entirely 'leveling' in various different forms. The content is very very scalable so you don't need to compare yourself to the most geared players, just pick something that gives you a challenge with what you have. I've played 2 major stints and have over 600 hours played. I'm not playing just now but I'm sure I'll be back. Might well come back just because other DkR are playing.

The premium currency comment is quite misleading as well. Yes you can skip all kinds of things by straight up buying them but the incentive to do that is fairly low for most people as it just takes away goals. I'd describe it less as 'pay to skip' and more 'pay not to play'. For example many of the warframes are obtained by quests. If you want to skip the quest you can buy the warframe off the shop. Now you don't need to play the game. Doesn't make much sense to me to do that (except for one or 2 boss farm type unlocks that bugged me) That said you should be careful how you buy premium currency and how you spend it. Don't buy currency until you get a 50% or 75% discount from the daily logins. Don't buy things with premium except warframe slots, weapon slots and potatoes (not their real name, double the mod capcity of warframe and weapons). A normal game purchase amount of money will last many months of active play but you'll have very little problem with the free to play mechanics.

Happy to show people around if they are interested.

If you are starting fresh Excalibur is the correct choice out of the starter frames. (Mag is only good versus certain enemy types and Volt is kinda rubbish until you have lots of stuff to help with energy regen)

P.S. If you have amazon prime you can get a Frost Prime (Upgraded version of the best point defence frame, not normally available) by linking your twitch account and claiming the loot (till the 26th I think). 

Edited by Eridan, 13 July 2017 - 12:30 pm.

#7 ShaLLByte

ShaLLByte
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:10 pm

Good post. The gunplay is great fun and it plays fast and furious. The survival missions can get quite intense.
Ive spent quite a bit on it but I do that with all the games I enjoy.
Atm I got 6 prime frames.

Ill be playing 2nite with Donkz if hes finished downloading it.

ShaLLByte

#8 Eridan

Eridan
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:39 pm

Ill be playing 2nite with Donkz if hes finished downloading it.

I'll probably come on and play with you guys then.

#9 Donkzy

Donkzy
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:06 pm

Happy days, I did load up this afternoon for half an hour, the actual gameplay is really really fun, I do worry about the 'grind', but when explained its more an evolution of play styles than a grind. I understand this now. If you forget about the end goal and enjoy the journey whats the issue. I get told different things so will make my mind up, I think having someone hold mi hand a tad will be good. Really wanted to do tutorial again lol.

I'll ask tonight but my starter Warframe when I switch to melee and press attack (m1) it kinda looks like its charging something then does nothing?? unless I'm missing something.

But for quick paced, super fun 3rd person fps, you can't do better. And Co-op some mission can't fail but to be good.

I'l be home hopefully a tad earlier. 9.40 ish and Itss Last day of work yehhhhh so fk your maintenance meetings :P (no shit they call them 'ToolBox Talks now') how to switch off your audience in the title. Silly office ppl not know shop floor

Edited by Donkzy, 13 July 2017 - 07:15 pm.

Enjoy Yourself

Olive Oil ain't no virgin ;)

#10 Chuey

Chuey
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:50 pm

OMG Donkz is finally playing! I'll be on from 2morrow night lads lookin forward to some death n destruction.

Donkz when you have the melee weapon equipped you still use the quick melee key to attack. Holding down the M1 activates your charge which increases damage but at the cost of energy and is really only useful in certain situations (like when you have life steal mod meaning it will heal you up)

#11 Xaphan

Xaphan
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 331 posts
  • Short Name:Mike

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:53 pm

I love it when Void wakes up :D

It means he's not got any new bukkake videos to watch or the pokemon servers are down again ;)

Oh and one huge thing about Warframe.... you NEVER have to buy premium currency.

You sell the things you find for other peoples platinum and then use it for slots etc.

Edited by Xaphan, 13 July 2017 - 08:55 pm.

Revelation_zpsbeoqyc7t.png

#12 Eridan

Eridan
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:31 pm

Oh and one huge thing about Warframe.... you NEVER have to buy premium currency.

You sell the things you find for other peoples platinum and then use it for slots etc.

You don't have to but I think the sweet spot for anyone who can afford to buy games is to spend a little and use it sparingly.

#13 VoidInsanity

VoidInsanity
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:20 pm

You don't have to but I think the sweet spot for anyone who can afford to buy games is to spend a little and use it sparingly.

But if you don't you'll be repeating the same content over and over again grinding instead of actually having fun. Games designed to make you want to spend constantly to enjoy it rather than making you want to spend as a show of support. The daily log-in rewards prime example of this, a discount on giving them money isn't a reward.

#14 DiBBz

DiBBz
  • – Lieutenant –

• 381 posts
  • Short Name:Conor

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:31 pm

100% with eridan on this. its majority of the reason why ive stuck with the game for so long. its not a grind in the typical MMO sense granted it was terrible back in the day. but it was enjoyable and fast overall.

don't be scared that you will hit a wall. warframe slots and weapon slots are easy to unlock it just requires a bit of patience's and know whats in demand etc. every prime part sells in this game ranging from trash scrap parts that people will pay for 1-5p per item. and if you like you can sell mods or pretty much anything related to progression. hell if you get a great riven mod you can sell that as well.

20p for a warframe slot and 12p for 2 weapon slots. you can get 20p no problem within  day. its just a matter of time before the item gets sold.

you can use the somewhat recently added chat filter for trade chat or go to this wonderful resource to prep you http://warframe.market/ 

either way don't look at it as a time sink and just enjoy it for what it offers. find something that attracts your attention ??? then try and get it. its all about commitment = reward and the reward big or small still feels rewarding none the less.

Posted Image

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. (-Lao Tzu-)

#15 Eridan

Eridan
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:41 pm

But if you don't you'll be repeating the same content over and over again grinding instead of actually having fun.

That is factually wrong. If you don't spend money it will take you longer to gain options (like new warframes and weapons) and stat up grades (mods and potatoes). Money doesn't get you new zones or missions any faster so doesn't affect the content you are playing.

#16 Chuey

Chuey
  • [DkR] Clan Member
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:53 am

One of the things I enjoy is teaming up with new players and helping them progress. You can show them what's available and help them set goals to achieve. The grind is what you make of it. Once you've got your first frame and weapons to L30 (achievable in less than an hour in the right circumstances) then the only limitations is your map progression and items which require a higher rank than you. All of which are easy to overcome solo, never mind with buds to play with.

You clearly don't like the game Void, fair nuff. Let others make their own mind up :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users